o Party goes down slope to the city at base of fortress-like stalagmite
• Notice large amounts of tieflings, dwarves, drow, etc.
• Most merchants have heavily armed and defended caravans along the roads
• Morna disguises Nerine, Chia, Mica, and Audrey as Drow to get past city guards
o Enter city of Waspstead, and look around
• See a pair of nervous, overweight twitchy merchants
• Save unfortunate merchant from fighting a scumbag mercenary half-orc Norven
• He gives them a ripped map and poem from his explorer cousin, and tells them that it may provide a way to topple the ilithids rule
o Group travels to the docks of the huge sea near the city, and starts to look around
• One merchant ship is loading valuables, and the guards and crewmen are nervously looking at a purple-sailed ship docked a few hundred feet away
• The purple-sailed ship is crewed with relaxed, smiling drow.
o Group approaches the merchant ship, making all the crew become very nervous.
• Merchants ask why they’re talking to them, and group asks about the map
• Replies they have no parts of the map, but relax after hearing that the drow-disguised group members aren’t part of the “Thought Fangs” pirates
• Ship then sets sail
o Group approaches Thought Fang ship
• Call to crewmen and ask about map
• First mate calls to ask captain, nicknamed The Courtesan, about the map
• She calls them aboard, and the ship sets sail after the merchant ship
o Enters the captain’s cabin
• She asks where they got map, and then tells them she has part of map and an artifact included with it
• Tells them they can have it in exchange for helping “enlighten the merchants to alternative means of capitalism”
• They agree, as Audrey goes below deck into the exotic animal “Zoo” due to her hydrophobia
o Pirates attack the merchants
• Easily defeat them, and receive a chest of treasure, along with a broach that has a cubic opaque green stone.
• Stone causes metal runic seal on scroll from the merchant to glow, and runes on it read “I shall reveal the Slayers”
• Ship docks again, and they leave to city
o Returns to Waspstead
• Spends the night at The Lazy Hydra, getting a few powerful drinks before turning in.
o The party decides to check out the “Seekers of His Whisper” and journey to the Warren of Screams
• City appears as a sort of rounded tunnels and rooms sunken in a gravel hillside, illuminated by pale green lights
• They see a large, bulky Incubi with a gently burning jagged blue-flamed sword guarding the entrance to the city, asking for a memory in exchange for entrance
• Memories leave as shimmers in the air and enter city
• Audrey gives up memory of her death, losing her hydrophobia; Mica loses the memory of a year of Assassin’s school; Chia loses a bad memory; and Morna waits for the others to move on, and loses memories of good times with her father.
o Group enters city, and sees stream of memories flowing towards city center along tunnel roof, like an upside down stream.
• Occasionally , loud screams are heard, and huge rushes of memories surge out of the side tunnels.
• Group notices the Incubi are staring at the non-incubi people (Both the party and merchants) in the tunnels
o Group heads for the center of the city,
• Sees the caretaker in front of the All-Mind, which is a half-dozen elaborately dressed incubi hovering and chanting around it. The memories are flowing towards it and into some point in front of them.
• They ask him about the map, and he says they can tell them in exchange for their happiest memories.
• Morna gives up memory of meeting Woofy; Chia forgets time with her sister; Mica forgets the time she first got her sword; Audrey forgets speaking with the Raven Queen.
• A tendril of red-black memories enters ear of the Incubi, and he gives directions to a treasure room
• Advises them to hurry, as the Incubi are getting hungry
o Group runs to treasure room
• As they pass through tunnels, bits and fragments of memories are being sucked out by nearby Incubi
o Reached room,
• One of the nearby guards sucks a memory from Morna, widens his eyes saying “The lost artifact has a new owner! This must be reported.” And begins quickly moving back down the tunnel
• Use pass-phrase to enter, finding a chest, with a scrap of map pinned to the wood with an ornate blue shell-like knife, with a cubic green gem mounted in the pommel.
• Identified as the “Knife of the Dreamer” by a nearby incubi in exchange for an inconsequential memory.
o Group grabs chest and flees, running up main tunnel
• Behind them, dozens of Incubi are quickly walking after them
• Each Incubi has a red-black tendril of memories linked to them,
• The river of memories above them has a tide of red-black going against the flow, after the characters.
• The memory-tide links to nearby incubi, and they begin pursuing the party
• As the party comes into sight of the entrance, the incubi halt, and the tide slows for a second, before a knife-thin tendril shoots ahead of the party and reaches the city guard, who turns as the sword’s flames lengthen.
• Mica throws a sword on him, and Morna spins him onto his stomach with a spell as they hurry past
• They do not pursue, but call out “He Shall Know…”
o Party returns to Waspstead for the night.
• Next day, head to the Arcane Citadel of Malus the Vain, the beholder
o Reach the Citadel
• It’s a sandstone domed building with brass and glass roof decorations
• It’s guarded by huge, ogre-sized guards, with a flexible eye on a long neck
o They tell the guard that they’re seeking to speak with Malus, he shows them into the Citadel
• Malus greets them, removes their illusions, and asks them their business
• After showing them he does have that Node, he says he’ll give it to them in exchange for testing one of his illusion’s powers.
• They agree, and walk out onto the vast, flat stone plains behind the Citadel.
o The air shimmers, and they appear to be standing on a small island in the ocean
• In front of theme are 6 stones with single runes on them, and another one with writing
• The stone says that this is a prison for an acquaintance of Malus’s, and he wants them to test it to see how good it is. If they can get out, they’ll get the chest and Node. If not, he sees no reason to stop a perfectly usable illusion.
o They quickly realize that the runes correspond to natural elements
• Activating them with the elements cause them to glow
• After all stones begin to glow, the stones sink into the sand
o Six towers begin to rise from the sands all over the island
• These charge up with glows similar to seen on the stones, and the characters begin to faintly glow with some colors as well.
• The towers begin discharging energy at the party
• Party begins smashing them
• Crushed and crumbling towers form shimmering, shifting mounds of sand that flash with the elemental color
o Sand from towers forms together at edge of island,
• Forms a large elemental that’s flickering with flashes of energy, and begins attacking the party
• As they defeat it, they hear Malus congratulate them and the illusion dissolves,
• A leather bag with the treasure comes hovering out to them, with a fur ribbon mounted with a cubic gem tying it shut.
o The party returns to Waspstead